www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Committers' hobby projects
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 03:13:34 GMT
On Feb 27, 2012, at 5:33 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> This is covered by our "short form" IP clearance in the Incubator:
>  http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
>
> Roy said a person can just "check it in" (ie. option A), but I don't
> think that is really true.

Yes, it is true.  This question has been asked and answered before.

> Recognize that the software has been
> developed outside of our community engagement. Suddenly turning this
> large piece of code into "Apache code" is generally considered
> improper. We don't normally let people develop entire products
> *outside* of the ASF community process, then dump it into source
> control, and then call it ASF code.

Sure we do.  See Shambhala.  As long as all of the contributors have
a CLA on file and all the contributors agree to the contribution,
then it is covered under those CLAs.  All paperwork complete.
It doesn't matter where the code was stored in the past.

> The short-form clearance is intended to ensure that the PMC
> recognizes, as a whole, what is arriving in its repository. That each
> of the people who have committed to that code (whether one, or
> several) have the proper ICLAs on file. etc.
>
> If you're talking about 100 lines of code, then what the heck... just
> commit it. But if you're talking about a subproject that is moving
> into Commons, then please use the short-form clearance.
>
> Cheers,
> -g
>
> ps. the "short form" looks a lot longer than I remember it to be; that
> process should be streamlined, which is something to discuss on
> general@incubator

http://markmail.org/message/zkzsung623jtfa7x

....Roy