www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <beno...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MPL 2.0
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:26:15 GMT

On Feb 17, 2012, at 10:21 PM, Luis Villa wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, that's essentially what I was trying to get at with my suggestion
>>> that it start ALv2.
>>>
>>> It feels odd not to recommend MPL, since I basically wrote it, but...
>>> c'est la vie ;)
>>
>> hehehe....
>>
>> Right license for the job, and all that :-)
>
> Right. And to be fair, we did not anticipate the (fairly unusual)
> situation where the original author would simultaneously want to do a
> more restrictive license (MPL) and then *later* a permissive license
> (AL). That's a little unusual.
>
> Benoit, if you could explain the reasoning behind that unusual change,
> that might lead to better suggestions.
>
> Thanks-
> Luis

Luis,

That's not really my choice here. One of the first user and also contributor to the lib has
for policy to license most of the code he will use as MPL. While I need to use it in a project
under apache license 2.

Things are still in discussion. I think it would be better to release it directiy under ALv2
or maybe a more permissive license. Will see how it goes. I'm not sure how other deals with
such thing though. Generally the more permissive license is used in my work.

Thanks for the help anyway.

- benoƮt