www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Third party Binary License guidance for Airavata Incubator project
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 20:49:57 GMT
Legal experts,

We at Airavata incubator have been struggling to get the License and Notice files correct
for quite some time time now. We need some expert guidance to move foreword. With help from
one of our mentors Ate Douma, we have sorted out some blockers, but still unable to cross
the last mile of the release. We have tons of third party dependencies (all of which have
apache compatible licenses), but our headache is to get the transitive dependency licenses
and notices right. Will send a sequence of specific requests as we nail them down.

We layer upon singficantly large number of apache projects and bundle them with airavata binary
distribution.  My first question is how to get the NOTICE file correct for these dependencies.
As we understand, we will have one Apache License for all these projects. But for NOTICEs,
should we have per product? For example, we have the following scenario with dependencies
to Apache Xerces, XMLBeans, Derby, Commons, Jackrabbit, Axis2, Axiom. How should we include
NOTICES for these projects in following case A or Case B?

Case A):
This product includes software (Xerces, XMLBeans, Derby, Commons, Jackrabbit, Axis2, Axiom)
developed at

Followed by individual notices like:
Portions of Apache Derby were orginally developed by
International Business Machines Corporation and are
licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under the
"Software Grant and Corporate Contribution License Agreement",
informally known as the "Derby CLA".

 Aside from contributions to the Apache XMLBeans project, this
   software also includes:
    - one or more source files from the Apache Xerces-J and Apache Axis
      products, Copyright (c) 1999-2003 Apache Software Foundation
    - W3C XML Schema documents Copyright 2001-2003 (c) World Wide Web
      Consortium (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, European Research
      Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics, Keio University)
    - resolver.jar from Apache Xml Commons project,
      Copyright (c) 2001-2003 Apache Software Foundation

2) Case B:
This product includes software Apache Derby developed at

Portions of Apache Derby were orginally developed by
International Business Machines Corporation and are
licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under the
"Software Grant and Corporate Contribution License Agreement",
informally known as the "Derby CLA".

This product includes software Apache XMLBeans developed at

 Aside from contributions to the Apache XMLBeans project, this
   software also includes:
    - one or more source files from the Apache Xerces-J and Apache Axis
      products, Copyright (c) 1999-2003 Apache Software Foundation
    - W3C XML Schema documents Copyright 2001-2003 (c) World Wide Web
      Consortium (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, European Research
      Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics, Keio University)
    - resolver.jar from Apache Xml Commons project,
      Copyright (c) 2001-2003 Apache Software Foundation

And so on.

Basically asking, if all products developed at ASF can have one copy right notice and required
third party notices, or should each apache project also have separate copy right notice?

Thanks,
Suresh