www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Is a TSU notice needed for software using javax.crypto?
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 19:27:36 GMT

On 1/31/2012 4:16 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2012, at 10:47 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

>>> That's not the way I read it.
>>>
>>> I understood it to mean that *users* of certain kinds of crypto also
>>> need to register and provide info in the README file.
>>> For example, JMeter uses SSL crypto, but does not implement it.
>> +1
>>
>> The requirements for developers of crypto are different to those who just use it,
but users still need to follow the registration process given (don't worry - it's painless).
> Please note that the BIS requirements have changed since the last time
> we updated the export requirements.  AFAIK, we no longer need to send
> notices for merely using publicly available crypto packages.

This would affect many projects I think.  Most of the entries on
http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/ are there just because they, in turn,
use "publicly available" packages, often other Apache projects.

Can we get some kind of official dispensation from having to update this page
going forward?  Any pointers to the BIS requirement changes would be appreciated!

-Marshall