www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@apache.org>
Subject Is a TSU notice needed for software using javax.crypto?
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 15:25:32 GMT
Hi All

One of the podlings I mentor, ODF Toolkit, is looking to implement the ODF
encryption and signing support. As part of this, they'd be using
javax.crytpo and java.security classes, but they wouldn't be implementing
their own encryption algorithms

I've read through http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html a few times, and
some of the linked documents, and I'm not completely sure if a TSU is
needed or not

Java itself is controlled by ECCN 5D992.c [1], rather than 5D002 which our
page talks about. Additionally, I'm not sure if importing and calling
standard Java encryption functions counts as "software specially designed
.. for the ... use of any other software on this list", either on the
encryption side, or on Java not being another 5D002 library

So, does anyone know what the rules are for this sort of Java project?

Thanks
Nick

[1] Page 6 of http://www.oracle.com/us/products/export/eccn-matrix-software-412042.pdf