www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From John Selbie <j...@selbie.com>
Subject Updating source files with copyright dates
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 07:22:52 GMT
Greetings,

I would have thought the following question would be in an FAQ
somewhere, but I could not find it.

Last year, I released an open source project with code on github under
the Apache 2.0 license. (A stun server code base at
https://github.com/jselbie/stunserver ). All the code distributed was
written by me.

As per the instructions in the Appendix of the Apache 2.0 license, all
the code source files were updated with the following text at the top:

/*
   Copyright 2011 John Selbie

   Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
   you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
   You may obtain a copy of the License at

   limitations under the License.
*/

So here's my simple question.  It's now 2012.  I'm about to release an
update to the code base. Do I need to change the copyright year of
each source file to say "2012" instead of "2011" (or it is "2011,2012"
or "2011-2012") ?

Thanks,
John Selbie