www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From John Selbie <j...@selbie.com>
Subject Re: Updating source files with copyright dates
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 23:14:31 GMT
Thanks Ralph.

I'm inclined to use the following quote from that document as guidance:

"the year date of first publication of the compilation or derivative work
is sufficient"

Form of Notice for Visually Perceptible Copies

The notice for visually perceptible copies should contain all the following
three elements:

1 The symbol © (the letter C in a circle), or the word “Copyright,” or the
abbreviation “Copr.”; and

2 The year of first publication of the work. In the case of compilations or
derivative works incorporating previously published material, the year date
of first publication of the compilation or derivative work is sufficient.
The year date may be omitted where a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural
work, with accompanying textual matter, if any, is reproduced in or on
greeting cards, postcards, stationery, jewelry, dolls, toys, or any useful
article; and 3 The name of the owner of copyright in the work, or an
abbreviation by which the name can be recognized, or a generally known
alternative designation of the owner.