www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject [commons-math] compatibility of licenses?
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 08:16:45 GMT
Hi,
in project Commons-Math, a contributor recently proposed a patch for
triangular distributions (see MATH-731). One of the methods
implemented is based on a third party Python code, the license of
which is reproduced below. My question is: can I commit this patch?
Should we try and get in touch with the original author (1998!), to
have him sign an ICLA?
Thanks for your advice.
S├ębastien

+ * <p>Implementation of the {@link #sample} method partly based on triangular
+ * distribution implementation of the rv Python module (Release 1.1 27-Nov-98),
+ * by Ivan Frohne, which is distributed under the following license:
+ * <pre>
+ *            Copyright 1998 by Ivan Frohne; Wasilla, Alaska, U.S.A.
+ *                        All Rights Reserved
+ *
+ * Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute this software and its
+ * documentation for any purpose, free of charge, is granted subject to the
+ * following conditions:
+ *   The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
+ *   all copies or substantial portions of the software.
+ *
+ *   THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION IS PROVIDED WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
+ *   EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS
+ *   FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
+ *   AUTHOR OR COPYRIGHT HOLDER BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM OR DAMAGES IN A
+ *   CONTRACT ACTION, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION
+ *   WITH THE SOFTWARE OR ITS DOCUMENTATION.
+ * </pre>
+ * </p>