www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [commons-math] compatibility of licenses?
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:36:34 GMT
+1 to Gregs arguing. Legally there is imo no need to add this license, because the work is
derivative enough to make it an 'own distinct solution'.

But it's always a good thing to show respect and be thankful by adding something like

"Implementation of the {@link #sample} method is inspired by the triangular distribution implementation
of the rv Python module (Release 1.1 27-Nov-98), by Ivan Frohne."

or similar.

It might also be an option for the commons PMC to personally reach out to him, notify him
and send him a personal 'thank you'. Maybe he is even interested to help out in other areas
as committer in the future ;)

LieGrue,
strub

code, and (thus) would be independent of any license on that Python code.
>I'll also note that Python 2.6 intruduced a new 'triangle' function into its 'random'
module. Dunno if it is the same thing, but at least that comes with a defined license (should
that matter).