www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Markus Stier <markus.st...@stegmannsystems.com>
Subject AW: Clarify relation between GPL and Apache license
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 11:11:03 GMT
Paul,

I think it comes down to these two questions:
1. "Can I license my software under GPL if linking to an ASF library?"
as you mentioned and:
2. "Can I license my software under Apache License if linking to an GPL library?"

Regarding  the first question, the FSF states that Apache License 2.0 and GPL 3.0 are compatible
and therefore the answer is "Yes".
Regarding  the second question the answer is "No". The explanation is given in http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html.

I'm not related to ASF nor FSF. I'm just examining licenses for a project of mine and discovered
the ambiguity in the ASF FAQ. Again, I suggest that you remove the "Is the Apache license
compatible with the GPL (GNU Public License)?" question and replace it with those from above.

Markus