www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@hoplahup.net>
Subject Re: Clarify relation between GPL and Apache license
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:37:55 GMT

Le 14 déc. 2011 à 12:47, Markus Stier a écrit :
>> Q: Is the Apache license compatible with the GPL (GNU Public License)?
>> A: Although the Free Software Foundation website indicates a rather strong
>> incompatibility, the answer to this question boils down to one of the two
>> following questions:
>
> Why "strong incompatibility"? There is an incompatibility with GPL version 2, which is
resolved in GPL 3.
> Since most GPL libraries are licensed with "GPL version 2 or later" this should not be
an issue.

I never understood this incompatibility which has always appeared to assume from a reader
such as me that licensing everything in one viral license is the aim at the end of the day.
This aim is not realizable, period.

So I disagree it depends on the GPL version. Many products have been released under GPL 2.1
with linkages to software Apache Public License and do not worry of such an incompatibility.

But then, I know it has been stated differently in different places so I'm ok if your FAQ
formulation is better than mine.
Both would be a lot better than what is currently there (which basically says "if you want
to listen and worry about FSF's licenses, here's what they say)".

paul