www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Licensing of the OOo Base Guide chapters and later the entire guide
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2011 03:53:38 GMT
Dan, there is nothing to be said here for how you decide to license your work.

The discussion on ooo-dev and on ODFAuthors is what license is required if you wish to contribute
your work to the OpenOffice.org wiki.

The condition for such a contribution, as stated on the OpenOffice.org wiki site and informally
confirmed in e-mail is that all new contributions must be licensed under the Apache License
Version 2.0 to be accepted as a contribution to that site.

It is possible to contact the Apache OpenOffice PPMC and obtain an official response that
this is the case.  Or you can propose contribution under a different license and obtain an
official response from the Apache OpenOffice PPMC whether your proposed license is acceptable
for your contribution to the wiki.

Or you can do something other than contribute the document to the OpenOffice.org wiki.  Consultation
of the Apache OpenOffice project is then completely unnecessary.

It is entirely up to you.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Lewis [mailto:elderdanlewis@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2011 10:21
To: legal-discuss@apache.org
Subject: Licensing of the OOo Base Guide chapters and later the entire guide

     Presently, chapter 1 of the Base Guide has been written. The
Copyright page has the following statement:

"This document is Copyright © 2011 by its contributors as listed below.
You may distribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the Creative
Commons Attribution Share-Alike License
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/), version 3.0 or later.
All trademarks within this guide belong to their legitimate owners."

    With all the discussions about licenses of the OOo User Guides that
make absolutely no sense to me (I'm not a lawyer), I really don't know
what is accepable or not nor why.
    Are there additional sentences the could be made under what I have
quoted that would be required?

--Dan