www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Michael Stahl <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Clarification on GPL in SVN
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 20:24:03 GMT
> On 11/7/2011 1:56 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> There is conflicting advice from Apache Members to the OOo podling
>> relating to GPL code in SVN. I'm therefore seeking an authoritative
>> answer from legal@
>>
>> There are likely to be a number of specific cases but the one we are
>> currently looking at is build tools.
>>
>> The specific question is: Can the OOo podling have tools such as dmake
>> which are GPL on Apache servers. The tool does not need to be
>> distributed with releases but is needed to build OOo.
>>
>> More details about the scenario can be found in
>> http://markmail.org/thread/dux725iflho6icsr#query:+page:1+mid:quz3abjjntuzjlaz+state:results
>>
>> This question was about use of GPL tools however. I'm specifically
>> asking about hosting of GPL code on Apache servers.
>
> Why are we asking about forking GPL and not driving it upstream
> so that non-OOo project developers can build it?  If these tools
> are shared with LO, why isn't that the canonical home?

am puzzled by your use of the word 'fork' in the specific context of
dmake.  one thing the regulars on this list probably do not know is that
dmake is utterly obsolete: it is in fact so obsolete that it uses version
1 of the GPL, and the original copyright holder is some company that is
most likely out of business.  presumably OOo is the only project that
still uses dmake, which is probably why its source ended up in the
repository in the first place: there is no upstream, or, if you like, OOo
is the upstream for dmake.

regards,
 michael