www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject License classification: Schema files for OASIS Open Document Format (ODF) standard
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:43:00 GMT
The ODF Toolkit Podling uses the ODF schema files (the Relax NG format
XML files that define many of the constraints of the ODF standard).

We use the schemas at build time and runtime .

At build time, in our ODFDOM component, we have a code generation
phase (using Apache Velocity) where we generate Java source code (a
typed DOM) based on the ODF schema.

At runtime we have another component, the Validator, that uses the
schema to check whether input documents  are valid to the schema.  We
do classic schema validation as a prelude to more detailed conformance
checking.

The schemas are not OSS.  They are parts of a published standard.
However, they are copyrighted by OASIS (a standards consortium) and
come with the following license:

<!--
        Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) Version 1.2
        Committee Specification Public Review Draft (CSPRD) 03, 19 January 2011
	Relax-NG Schema

        Copyright (c) OASIS Open 2002-2011. All Rights Reserved.

	All capitalized terms in the following text have the meanings assigned to them
	in the OASIS Intellectual Property Rights Policy (the "OASIS IPR Policy"). The
	full Policy may be found at the OASIS website.

	This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to others, and
	derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it or assist in its
	implementation may be prepared, copied, published, and distributed, in whole or
	in part, without restriction of any kind, provided that the above copyright
	notice and this section are included on all such copies and derivative works.
	However, this document itself may not be modified in any way, including by
	removing the copyright notice or references to OASIS, except as needed for the
	purpose of developing any document or deliverable produced by an OASIS
	Technical Committee (in which case the rules applicable to copyrights, as set
	forth in the OASIS IPR Policy, must be followed) or as required to translate it
	into languages other than English.

	The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be revoked by
	OASIS or its successors or assigns.

	This document and the information contained herein is provided on an "AS IS"
	basis and OASIS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT
	LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT
	INFRINGE ANY OWNERSHIP RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR
	FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
-->

The full OASIS IPR policy, which is referenced in the license, is here:

http://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/ipr

Where it speaks of "IPR Mode", ODF is under the "RF on Limited Terms"
IPR mode.

So we have permission to copy, translate and redistribute the schema,
as well as make derivatives "that comment on or otherwise explain it
or assist in its implementation".  I believe that our use is covered
by that permission.

I'd like to get consensus that it is fine to include the unmodified
schemas in our source and binary releases, and to generate code from
the schemas that is also included in our releases.

Regards,

-Rob