www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there a legal 'pmc'? ...
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 22:07:19 GMT
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

>>> Short answer: no.  I will once again refer you to the following:
>>>
>>> http://www.apache.org/legal/ramblings.html
>>
>> I read it, and I don't see how it bears on the question I am trying to
>> post and answer: "How should a community member approach legal affairs
>> with a question about a license?" It certainly explains that the
>> answer is not necessarily straightforward or easy to arrive at. Please
>> illuminate me.
>
> I guess I miss parsed your question.  I thought you were asking for a
> schema which described how licenses are to be categorized.  Instead
> you were asking for a schema as to how to ask such questions.
>
> JIRA is an appropriate place to ask questions of the form you describe
> above.  I agree that that that is a frequently asked question.

RIght. We are now on the same page. I can save people from sending
these questions to legal-discuss@ and getting completely disoriented
by 5 conflicting opinions, four of them from people who are neither
lawyers nor members of the legal affairs committee. To be fair, this
is more of a problem with more exotic questions than license
questions.