www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there a legal 'pmc'? ...
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 21:12:05 GMT
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

>>> Above is an example of a hypothetical question.
>>
>> Maddening indeed. I just want to give some useful guidance to
>> committers and PMCs in how to avoid ending up in the weeds when a
>> legal issue comes up.
>>
>> Far and away, the most common is 'what can we do with materials under
>> the Peanut Butter license?'
>>
>> Is it reasonable to offer a schema for these?
>
> Short answer: no.  I will once again refer you to the following:
>
> http://www.apache.org/legal/ramblings.html

I read it, and I don't see how it bears on the question I am trying to
post and answer: "How should a community member approach legal affairs
with a question about a license?" It certainly explains that the
answer is not necessarily straightforward or easy to arrive at. Please
illuminate me.

> That essay answers that particular question in depth.
>
>> Another option that tries to respect what you wrote below is:
>>
>>    "If your are an Apache PMC member or committer, and you believe
>> that your project needs an answer to a legal question, please ask your
>> PMC chair to contact the VP legal affairs for advice on how to handle
>> your question."
>
> For initial questions, they are welcome to contact me.  Or Shane.  Or
> Larry.  Or Jim.  Or Doug.  Or any other board member or executive
> officer.  I'm not territorial that way.

OK, here we are making progress. I read your answer as: if a project
has a formal, official, need, they should contact the board or an
officer. To tie this to the previous point, it doesn't seem to me that
you want this to be the process for 'here's a novel license'
questions. At, JIRAs with those questions have not resulted in a
redirection of that form.

I withdraw the entire matter of the remaining idea I put forward, it's
not important enough to spend more bandwidth on.