www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there a legal 'pmc'? ...
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 20:28:51 GMT
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, a PMC member can send a message to legal-private, can't read the
>> ensuing discussion, of course, and has some expectation of a response,
>> if only a redirection.
>>
>> Would 'open a JIRA and then ping private to tell them that it's a
>> formal request for assistance from a PMC' be a reasonable paradigm?
>
> Above is an example of a hypothetical question.

Maddening indeed. I just want to give some useful guidance to
committers and PMCs in how to avoid ending up in the weeds when a
legal issue comes up.

Far and away, the most common is 'what can we do with materials under
the Peanut Butter license?'

Is it reasonable to offer a schema for these?

Another option that tries to respect what you wrote below is:

    "If your are an Apache PMC member or committer, and you believe
that your project needs an answer to a legal question, please ask your
PMC chair to contact the VP legal affairs for advice on how to handle
your question."

I would also be happy to offer proposed language to the effect that:

   "The Apache Software Foundation does not provide legal advice on
the interpretation or use of the Apache Software License.

is an appropriate channel for people outside of the Foundation to
raise legal matters with the Foundation. <insert better generic
front-door destination here.>
"