www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Clarification on GPL in SVN
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 06:51:53 GMT
On 7 November 2011 21:18, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> On 11/7/2011 1:56 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> There is conflicting advice from Apache Members to the OOo podling
>> relating to GPL code in SVN. I'm therefore seeking an authoritative
>> answer from legal@
>>
>> There are likely to be a number of specific cases but the one we are
>> currently looking at is build tools.
>>
>> The specific question is: Can the OOo podling have tools such as dmake
>> which are GPL on Apache servers. The tool does not need to be
>> distributed with releases but is needed to build OOo.
>>
>> More details about the scenario can be found in
>> http://markmail.org/thread/dux725iflho6icsr#query:+page:1+mid:quz3abjjntuzjlaz+state:results
>>
>> This question was about use of GPL tools however. I'm specifically
>> asking about hosting of GPL code on Apache servers.
>
> Why are we asking about forking GPL and not driving it upstream
> so that non-OOo project developers can build it?  If these tools
> are shared with LO, why isn't that the canonical home?

That's an entirely different discussion and one that should/could/has
been played out on the OOo-dev mailing list.

What I'm interested in at this point is getting an authoritative
answer to the specific question of having GPL software in an
incubating projects SVN and, subsequently, in a TLPs SVN. This
information will feed into the wider discussions about whether having
it there is the optimal solution.

This is an incubating project with a history and a set of practices
developed outside the ASF. We need to help it chart a course from
"here" to "there". It helps to know exactly what paths are open and
what paths are closed when charting that course.

Ross