www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Clarification on GPL in SVN
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 21:36:08 GMT
On 8 November 2011 09:03, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> On 11/8/2011 1:50 AM, Ted Dunning wrote:
>>
>> I thought that the question was whether it was OK to install GPL tools into build
>> platforms.  The only issue is that the install is more than [apt-get install foo].
 How is
>> this forking a GPL product?
>
> Ross asked if we could check in 'gpl sources'; e.g. maintain a source
> branch of a gpl project.

That is correct. To reiterate the community is getting conflicting
advice from ASF Members and I want to give an authoritative answer
about ASF policy in this matter.

As Bill points out there are different issues relating to community,
upstream collaboration etc. However, I'm not seeking guidance on that
here. The podlings mentors will address these issues during the
incubation process. At this point we are trying to allow the project
to identify a plan to get from "here" to "there". To do that they need
clarity on what "there" should be and which routes are available.

Ross