www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: source code analysis
Date Sat, 26 Nov 2011 10:53:54 GMT
On 11/24/11 14:59, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> We have a license checker, http://incubator.apache.org/rat/

(There are also some other related tools in there as well)

Contributions very welcome :-)

> I'll also note that machined analysis, which you state is required in
> your environment, can only go so far; it will always miss some things.

+1

> tog wrote on Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 18:10:43 +0530:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am not sure this this is best place to ask this question but was not able
>> to find any better.
>> I was wondering if the ASF had put in place tools and processes to check
>> commits that could be violating its license. I am having such a requirement
>> and thought you people might have already solve that problem.

IMHO The general automation problem is almost certainly provably
unsolvable (the law is a rule based system which is probably more
complex than the natural numbers, and therefore cannot be complete and
consistent).

But automated can definitely assist the process

Robert