www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is there a legal 'pmc'? ...
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 19:30:37 GMT
On 11/01/11 22:07, Benson Margulies wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> I guess I miss parsed your question.  I thought you were asking for a
>> schema which described how licenses are to be categorized.  Instead
>> you were asking for a schema as to how to ask such questions.
>>
>> JIRA is an appropriate place to ask questions of the form you describe
>> above.  I agree that that that is a frequently asked question.
>>

> RIght. We are now on the same page. I can save people from sending
> these questions to legal-discuss@ and getting completely disoriented
> by 5 conflicting opinions, four of them from people who are neither
> lawyers nor members of the legal affairs committee.

Nobody - whether officers, lawyers, members - gives legal opinions on
legal-discuss. This is a discussion list.

It may be confusing and disorienting to some that licenses and copyright
are often quite debatable subjects. IMO The best response when confused
is to ask more questions until you understand why people think the issue
is worthy of discussion.

> To be fair, this
> is more of a problem with more exotic questions than license
> questions.

Do you have any examples in mind?

Robert