www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Clarification on GPL in SVN
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 07:52:18 GMT
On 11/8/11 6:18 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> On 11/7/2011 1:56 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> There is conflicting advice from Apache Members to the OOo podling
>> relating to GPL code in SVN. I'm therefore seeking an authoritative
>> answer from legal@
>>
>> There are likely to be a number of specific cases but the one we are
>> currently looking at is build tools.
>>
>> The specific question is: Can the OOo podling have tools such as dmake
>> which are GPL on Apache servers. The tool does not need to be
>> distributed with releases but is needed to build OOo.
>>
>> More details about the scenario can be found in
>> http://markmail.org/thread/dux725iflho6icsr#query:+page:1+mid:quz3abjjntuzjlaz+state:results
>>
>> This question was about use of GPL tools however. I'm specifically
>> asking about hosting of GPL code on Apache servers.
>
> Why are we asking about forking GPL and not driving it upstream
> so that non-OOo project developers can build it?  If these tools
> are shared with LO, why isn't that the canonical home?

i can't say why the changes wasn't contributed back but there is ongoing
work to replace dmake with a new build system based on gnu make. Well
gnu make is not really different for the license but it can be seen as
the de-facto standard to build C/C++ projects in the open source world.

That means we don't want to put too much energy in this topic that gets
obsolete anyway. It is simply to preserve the current state. It won't be
part of any official code release.

Juergen