www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Source headers and Apache SGA: Is that sufficient permission?
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 18:27:45 GMT
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<rdonkin@apache.org> wrote:
> On 10/12/11 22:57, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> We're taking the contributed OpenOffice code through the IP review.
>> One thing we need to do is update the headers in the
>> Oracle-contributed source files to reflect the Apache 2.0 license.
>> There is some information on this process on the "ASF Source header
>> and Copyright Notice" page [1], but I'm having difficulty determining
>> whether we can go forward with this yet.
>>
>> The section on "Source File Headers for Code Developed at the ASF" states:
>>
>> "1. If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included
>> in it, the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:
>>
>>     1. remove such notices, or
>>     2. move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable
>> project release, or
>>     3. provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or
>> relocation of the notices."
>>

>> But the SGA [2] clearly gives us permission to created derivative
>> works.  Does that not include permissions to change headers (of course
>> within bounds of the license permitted by the SGA)?
>>
>> So my question boils down to this:   Does the SGA give us sufficient
>> permission (per 3 above) to replace Oracle's headers with the ALv2?
>> Or do should we be seeking, in writing, an additional document from
>> Oracle.  If the later, do we have a form for this?
>
> This section concerns copyright notices[1], not license headers[2].
>
> It's a little involved so I'll explain over on the OOo lists...

OK.  Thanks.   Here's a concrete example, of what we're seeing.  It
has a copyright, a disclaimer, a link to the license and a big bold
statement that says "don't touch".   What should we do?

/*************************************************************************
 *
 * DO NOT ALTER OR REMOVE COPYRIGHT NOTICES OR THIS FILE HEADER.
 *
 * Copyright 2000, 2010 Oracle and/or its affiliates.
 *
 * OpenOffice.org - a multi-platform office productivity suite
 *
 * This file is part of OpenOffice.org.
 *
 * OpenOffice.org is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License version 3
 * only, as published by the Free Software Foundation.
 *
 * OpenOffice.org is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 * GNU Lesser General Public License version 3 for more details
 * (a copy is included in the LICENSE file that accompanied this code).
 *
 * You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
 * version 3 along with OpenOffice.org.  If not, see
 * <http://www.openoffice.org/license.html>
 * for a copy of the LGPLv3 License.
 *