www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Source headers and Apache SGA: Is that sufficient permission?
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 18:22:31 GMT
On 10/12/11 22:57, Rob Weir wrote:
> We're taking the contributed OpenOffice code through the IP review.
> One thing we need to do is update the headers in the
> Oracle-contributed source files to reflect the Apache 2.0 license.
> There is some information on this process on the "ASF Source header
> and Copyright Notice" page [1], but I'm having difficulty determining
> whether we can go forward with this yet.
>
> The section on "Source File Headers for Code Developed at the ASF" states:
>
> "1. If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included
> in it, the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:
>
>      1. remove such notices, or
>      2. move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable
> project release, or
>      3. provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or
> relocation of the notices."
>

> But the SGA [2] clearly gives us permission to created derivative
> works.  Does that not include permissions to change headers (of course
> within bounds of the license permitted by the SGA)?
>
> So my question boils down to this:   Does the SGA give us sufficient
> permission (per 3 above) to replace Oracle's headers with the ALv2?
> Or do should we be seeking, in writing, an additional document from
> Oracle.  If the later, do we have a form for this?

This section concerns copyright notices[1], not license headers[2].

It's a little involved so I'll explain over on the OOo lists...

Robert

[1] For example "Copyright (c) Robert Burrell Donkin 2011"
[2] For example
        "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
        or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
        distributed with this work for additional information
        regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
        to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
        "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
        with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

        Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
        software distributed under the License is distributed on an
        "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
        KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
        specific language governing permissions and limitations
        under the License."