www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org user forums and the iCLA
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2011 18:25:03 GMT
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> I am an Apache committer.
>
> I have a registration on the current OO.o Forums.
>
> That registration has no connection to my confirmable identity here as an Apache committer.
>
> When I post on the forum, I expect that post to be under the current terms of use.

Think of it this way:

When you post on an Apache mailing list, your ID there has no
relationship to your Apache ID.

When you attach a patch to a Bugzilla issue, your Bugzilla ID is
unrelated to your Apache ID.

But in both cases, your contributions are under the iCLA.  And in both
cases, normal practice would be for us to not take a non-trivial
contribution from a user without first getting them to sign the iCLA.

> When the forum migrates, I consider that pre-existing post to be treated consistently
with the terms of use that applied at the time.

> When the forum migrates, if the terms of use are changed, and I need to re-register or
not, my subsequent posts there will be under the updated terms of use.

> At no time will I be making a contribution to the Apache project unless that is what
the terms of use for all new forum posts entail.

> Ditto for edits on any wiki that is public editable and on any mailing list that on which
I am a public subscriber.