www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "F C. Costero" <fjcc.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject OpenOffice.org user forums and the iCLA
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2011 03:19:16 GMT
Hello. I'm a member of the English and Spanish user forums at
http://user.services.openoffice.org/. We are discussing transferring all of
the forums to an Apache server and operating as an aspect of the Apache
OpenOffice.org podling. I have a question about the effect of the Individual
Contributor Legal Agreement (iCLA) on forum users.

I understand that some members of the forums, Admins with access to the
underlying forum software and Moderators who can move or delete posts and
ban users, must sign the iCLA and become official members of the podling.
Since many members of the non-English forums cannot understand the iCLA,
there is an understandable reluctance to sign a legal agreement. It is also
not understood what the iCLA does with respect to forum users that the Terms
of Use of the forum does not.

Question: Would the iCLA cover submissions to a user support forum that is
associated with an Apache podling (or project) or would the submissions only
be governed by the Terms of Use of the forum?

Some background on forum content

The forums contain:

   1.

   Questions posted by users and associated answers provided by other users.
   2.

   Tutorials written by users covering how to use either OpenOffice.org or
   the forum itself.
   3.

   Macro code for automating OpenOffice.org tasks.
   4.

   A small number of posts concern forum operation (e. g. software upgrades)
   and governance (e. g. questionable user behavior).

None of the forum content is intended to be part of the code or
documentation distributed as OpenOffice.org.. Whether a tutorial posted on
an Apache affiliated user forum is "Documentation" in the sense intended by
the iCLA is the sort of question that has forum volunteers confused.

A large fraction of the forum content is submitted by OpenOffice.org users
who post one or two questions and move on.

In case you care to see the Terms of Use of the forums, they can be found
through a link at the bottom of any forum page