www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use of Apache trademarks in Open Source code
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:51:28 GMT
I think that's easy to reply. Apaxhe trademarks are usually coupled to
a particular project, for example "Tomcat". As a consequence you must
not use them for any non-Apache peoject. The ASL covers using the
source code of Tomcat, not the name. Example: There used to be a
"tomcat-maven-plugin" over at Codehaus. That was supposed to be an
invalid use of the name "Tomcat". To fix the problem, the plugin was
moved under the hat of tomcat.apache.org. [1]

Hope that helps,

Jochen

[1] http://mojo.codehaus.org/tomcat-maven-plugin/

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Paul Fremantle <pzfreo@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a quick question. What is Apache's policy regarding the use of
> Apache Trademarks in Open Source code. We have an Open Source project
> released under the Apache License that wraps a number of Apache
> projects. Our common naming scheme is to use naming conventions such
> as org.wso2.xxx.xxx.Foo where Foo is the name of the project we are
> linking too, when we create "bridge" code. Is this an abuse of Apache
> Trademarks? Is there some way we should be referencing these in code?
> Obviously we want our code to be clear and also to properly represent
> the fact that we are reliant on and thankful to the Apache Foundation.
>
> Paul
>
> --
> Paul Fremantle
> Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
> Apache Synapse PMC Chair
> OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair
>
> blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
> paul@wso2.com

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men
will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of
everyone.

John Maynard Keynes (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Keynes)

https://linuxcounter.net/user/221257.html