www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Michael Stahl <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: [legal] ICLA paragraph 7
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2011 21:12:14 GMT
On 13.08.2011 15:00, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I don't think you should be removing any copyright notices.  Maybe
> the author can do that, but it depends on what the files are derived
> from and whether they are *solely* that author's original work.
> [There is some guidance here, although it is easy to wonder if one is
> sitting on an edge
> case:<http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html>.]
>
> What other provisions are stated on the files in addition to the
> copyright notice?  Is there a license statement of any kind?
>
> [It may be inappropriate for TDF to remove those copyright notices
> too, but that's not something we need to address here.]
>
> - Dennis

the files are most likely derived from this template:

http://hg.services.openoffice.org/OOO340/file/c904c1944462/solenv/gbuild/templates/Library.mk

which apparently exists in unchanged form in the LibreOffice repo:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/solenv/gbuild/templates/Library.mk

all the unneeded stuff and the comments in the actual content of the
template is removed in the files i've looked at, but the legal
boilerplate is there unchanged.

my totally non-qualified opinion is that anything that has survived from
the original template is necessary because otherwise the makefile
wouldn't work and thus this "residue" is not copyrightable (what was
that called... scènes à faire?).

in any case, the template is listed in the SGA from Oracle anyway, so it
will soon be changed to the standard Apache license header.

regards,
  michael