www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Michael Stahl <...@openoffice.org>
Subject [legal] ICLA paragraph 7
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 18:06:35 GMT
hi legal-discuss,

i've got a question as to what extent an ICLA from the copyright holder
is required for code contributions.

the ICLA contains this paragraph:

> 7. Should You wish to submit work that is not Your original creation,
>    You may submit it to the Foundation separately from any
>    Contribution, identifying the complete details of its source and of
>    any license or other restriction (including, but not limited to,
>    related patents, trademarks, and license agreements) of which you
>    are personally aware, and conspicuously marking the work as
>    "Submitted on behalf of a third-party: [named here]".

so it seems to me that an ICLA from the copyright holder is not an
absolute requirement to contribute to Apache.

is there any restriction in scope or otherwise for this paragraph?

what exactly are the process requirements?

my assumption is that the Committer must ask the potential contributor
whether they actually hold the copyright.

i guess "submit it separately" means that it must be its own SVN commit,
not mixed with anything the Committer wrote him/herself.

is it sufficient to put something like this into the SVN commit message:
"Submitted on behalf of a third party: [author name]; no licensing
restrictions"

context:
a volunteer who is currently working in GSoC over at LibreOffice (who
has not signed an Apache ICLA) has given me permission to contribute a
bunch of makefiles that he wrote, with no licensing restriction.
in this case we are talking about ~30 new files, totalling ~2000 lines
(of which ~1000 are the boilerplate licensing headers...).

regards,
  michael