www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Question on Category-A licenses, specifically CC-A
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 14:41:35 GMT

     I realize that this question actually addresses to the current list
contents, not the proposal to add CC-A 3.0, but both the 2.5 and 3.0 legal
language include the following text in the Restrictions section "You may
distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally
perform the Work only under the terms of this License...".  Assuming that
Apache isn't creating a Derivative Work from the CC-A licensed code, but
just including it as a component of the build, how does this qualify for
category A?  Is there a link somewhere that indicates that the CC authors
intended that to apply only to the Work being distributed by itself?  I
couldn't find any reference to this discussion in the archives.
Jeff

Counsel, IBM Corporation  (914)766-1757  (tie)8-826  (fax) -7164

Visit the SWG Legal Portal at https://swglegal.bluehost.ibm.com

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Robert Burrell Donkin <rdonkin@apache.org>

|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |legal-discuss@apache.org

|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |08/03/2011 09:41 AM

|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

On 08/03/11 13:27, Rob Weir wrote:
> Category-A compatible licenses [1] as listed includes an entry labeled
> "Creative Commons Attribution (CC-A)".  This links to a CC-BY 2.5
> license page [2].
>
> We have a potential contribution of user guides for the OpenOffice
> Podling that is dual licensed under GPL and CC-BY 3.0.
>
> How should we proceed?  Is the inclusion of "Creative Commons
> Attribution (CC-A)" on the category-A list intended to be version
> limited?

Versions of the same license sometimes differ enough to effect
compatibility. So, the list is version specific.

> If so, can we get CC-BY 3.0 reviewed and added to the
> approved list?

AIUI (hopefully people will jump in to correct any mistakes) post to
this list

I've created a JIRA [1] (for tracking)

It seems pretty clearly a Category A license to me

IIRC we're using lazy consensus ATM so unless anyone jumps in with an
objection with the next few days I'll dive in and patch the site...

Robert

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-96