www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: [Repo][Proposal] NOT SO FAST ON CHANGING HEADERS
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2011 15:51:56 GMT
On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> OK,
>
> I assume that, for an Apache Project, the standard license header is the one without
copyright notices and beginning "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
or more contributor license agreements."  Is that correct for code under the CGA?

> I don't know what the list of files in the grant looks like but there are nearly 100,000
individual artifacts in that code base.

> Andrew Rist is the only Apache OpenOffice.org committer of those you named.  Peter Korn
was invited and declined.

> I'll check with Andrew to see if he is able to do this.

I think we should put this on hold for now.  As I understand it,
Oracle is working on amending their SGA to include additional files
that were missed in their initial contribution.  If we change file
headers, it should be only for those files that are in the original or
amended SGA.  We just can't blast through the directory changing
headers.  Some files will be 3rd party files not included in the SGA.
And some may be Oracle files missing from the SGA.  So the intact
header information, from Sun, Oracle as well as 3rd party, is
essential to our success IP review of this code base and for
identifying whether files are missing from the SGA.  So let's resolve
that before we start changing headers.  It will need to be done before
we do a release.  But it doesn't need to be rushed or done first.

-Rob