www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sandro Martini <sandro.mart...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Info for including JUnit in our Continuous Integration Build system at Apache
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:49:19 GMT
Hi all,
forward the previous mail here, I hope this is the right mailing list ...

Thank you,
Sandro Martini

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sandro Martini <sandro.martini@gmail.com>
Date: 2011/8/24
Subject: Info for including JUnit in our Continuous Integration Build
system at Apache
To: licensing-help@apache.org
Cc: Apache Pivot - Private <private@pivot.apache.org>

Hi all,
my name is Sandro Martini, and I'm in the PMC of Apache Pivot.

Today I started to configure a Continuous Integration for Pivot on
Apache Jenkins build system here: https://builds.apache.org/

To make it work, I have to let it use a JUnit jar, but currently we
don't have it in our build system (based on Apache Ant) because of its
CPL license ( http://www.junit.org/license ).
At the moment, the solution seem to copy it in a folder inside source
control (SVN) and use it from there (but only during builds, and never
at runtime), but I don't know if this is a good choice (in terms of
license compatibility).

So, excuse me, probably the question has already be solved, but I
didn't find a clear answer to this:
JUnit is really incompatible with Apache ?
Even if we use it only for builds (absolutely it's not inside our
Binary distribution artifacts) ?
And last, could I think to put JUnit even inside a Pivot Source
distribution, to let our users use it for building Pivot (but probably
could be safer to not include it here, just for curiosity) ?

Thank  you very much,
Sandro Martini