www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: code without an iCLA ...
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2011 16:32:32 GMT
On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 6:13 AM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@novell.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
>        I've been trying to understand this for a while, and am (of course)
> rather new to the Apache Way of doing things, so please bear with my
> ignorance:

[snip]
> ..
> IMHO 2000 lines of code is borderline for a submission without an
> ICLA. Best to discuss on your project mail list and have the project
> decide.
> [/snip]

[snip]

>        I had -thought- that an iCLA would be required for everything
> non-trivial since the AL2 has no plus, or future version language, nor a
> license steward. That (it seems to me) necessitates owning[2] the rights
> to the entire codebase to allow future re-licensing to AL3 etc.

ICLAs are required for everything that is non-trivial.  Calling 2K
lines "borderline" was being polite and non-confrontational; treat it
as an understatement.

I also encourage you to read section 5 of the Apache License, Version
2.0 itself.  The license, the CLAs and the grants are intentionally
overlapping in scope.  The intent is that we are covered multiple
ways.  Furthermore, we have fine members like Craig who, while
unfailingly polite, are vigilant.

- Sam Ruby