www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: [legal] ICLA paragraph 7
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2011 02:51:58 GMT
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:
>> Benson Margulies wrote:
>> > At oo, everyone had to sign away their firstborn to Sun, but a mere
>> > license grant raises hackles about red tape? Sigh.
>
> Andy Brown responded:
>> Sad but true.  You should have seen some of the messages post in the
>> LibreOffice list back when they were invited to join Apache.
>
> I don't know which Apache list to refer this to, but I'm left curious. What were the
concerns?

I'd encourage you to read the following:

http://lwn.net/Articles/443989/

In my opinion, this article confuses/conflates the Joint Copyright
Assignment[1] that Sun required with a Copyright License Agreement,
and subsequently concludes that the latter is harmful to
collaboration.

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/jca.pdf