www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [legal] ICLA paragraph 7
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 21:11:22 GMT
At oo, everyone had to sign away their firstborn to Sun, but a mere
license grant raises hackles about red tape? Sigh.

On Aug 12, 2011, at 5:07 PM, Michael Stahl <mst@openoffice.org> wrote:

> On 12.08.2011 20:37, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
>> Michael Stahl wrote:
>>> context:
>>> a volunteer who is currently working in GSoC over at LibreOffice (who
>>> has not signed an Apache ICLA) has given me permission to contribute a
>>> bunch of makefiles that he wrote, with no licensing restriction.
>>
>> Is this volunteer reluctant to sign an ICLA of his own? If so, what are we
>> doing to reassure him that an ICLA isn't too painful an operation, and he'll
>> be left intact and with all his intellectual property safe?
>
> actually i haven't asked him yet :)
>
> but i have certainly heard complaints about the perceived bureaucratic overhead from
some people in that community, and also due to historic reasons in the OpenOffice.org project
any required legal paperwork is a bit suspect to some, so i would be interested in an answer
to the general question in any case, to better understand the Apache procedures.