www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject CDDL Source Availability
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 12:33:45 GMT
CDDL 1.0[1] contains a source availability clause[2]. The CDDL is
Category B (Reciprocal License)[3] and so a reference to the source is
required in the NOTICE[4].

AIUI policy does not allow distribution of Category B source from Apache
(please jump in if I missed any changes).

Therefore, this reference must be to an URL outside Apache control.
Apache has therefore no way to ensure that the URL supplies the required
source.

For example, one of the indirect (and probably unintentional) effects of
the Oracle takeover of Sun is breakage of source download URLs [5].

In the end, entropy wins. Unless Apache archives these sources, we risk
becoming unable to meet the requirements of licenses like the CDDL.

Is this something that we need to start becoming concerned about any
time soon?

Robert

[1] http://www.opensource.org/licenses/CDDL-1.0
[2]
"3.1. Availability of Source Code.

Any Covered Software that You distribute or otherwise make available in
Executable form must also be made available in Source Code form and that
Source Code form must be distributed only under the terms of this
License. You must include a copy of this License with every copy of the
Source Code form of the Covered Software You distribute or otherwise
make available. You must inform recipients of any such Covered Software
in Executable form as to how they can obtain such Covered Software in
Source Code form in a reasonable manner on or through a medium
customarily used for software exchange."

[3] http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#criteriaandcategories
[4]
"Although the source must not be included in Apache products, the
NOTICE file, which is required to be included in each ASF distribution,
must point to the source form of the included binary (more on that in
the forthcoming "Receiving and Releasing Contributions" document)."
[5] For example, the source for javax.mail 1.4.4 was hard to track down