www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Michael Meeks <michael.me...@novell.com>
Subject Re: code without an iCLA ...
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2011 16:54:31 GMT

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 12:32 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> ICLAs are required for everything that is non-trivial.  Calling 2K
> lines "borderline" was being polite and non-confrontational; treat it
> as an understatement.

	Fair enough :-) But I'm still unclear on my question: which is one of
fact: are there non-trivial - by which I mean ~10 line complicated
pieces of code included into ASF projects without a CLA being signed ?

> I also encourage you to read section 5 of the Apache License, Version
> 2.0 itself.

	This seems orthogonal; it seems to solve a good faith problem wrt.
patch posting: to stop people inserting licensing trojans into the code
by posting patches, and then claiming they were not AL2 licensed
afterwards (something special to non-copy-left licenses I guess).

>   The license, the CLAs and the grants are intentionally
> overlapping in scope.  The intent is that we are covered multiple
> ways.  Furthermore, we have fine members like Craig who, while
> unfailingly polite, are vigilant.

	So - let me try to ask it more simply:

	a) You include 10 lines of code (under AL2 cf. section 5 etc.)
	   that you do not own (ie. not CLA'd) into the 'Apache Foo'
	   project (hypothetically)

	b) How then can 'Apache Foo' migrate to AL3 without seeking
	   permission for those 10 lines (or without re-writing /
	   removing them).

	Or as a corollary of b) - why is AL2 not a 'plus' license - to help
with this ? and as a further question, how was this handled for the
upgrade to AL2 ?

	Just trying to understand the first-principles that these decisions are
based on here.

	Thanks,

		Michael.