www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [Repo][Proposal] NOT SO FAST ON CHANGING HEADERS
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2011 15:44:09 GMT
OK,

I assume that, for an Apache Project, the standard license header is the one without copyright
notices and beginning "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
contributor license agreements."  Is that correct for code under the CGA?

I don't know what the list of files in the grant looks like but there are nearly 100,000 individual
artifacts in that code base.

Andrew Rist is the only Apache OpenOffice.org committer of those you named.  Peter Korn was
invited and declined.

I'll check with Andrew to see if he is able to do this.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig L Russell [mailto:craig.russell@oracle.com]
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 06:28
To: legal-discuss@apache.org
Subject: Re: [Repo][Proposal] NOT SO FAST ON CHANGING HEADERS

On Aug 28, 2011, at 1:37 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> We have finally brought a large chunk of the OpenOffice.org code
> base over to the Apache SVN under our incubator portion of the code
> tree.
>
> There are still notices on those files, such as the one copied below.
>
> We want to be careful in handling these files appropriately.  My
> questions are
>
> 1. Can we replace these notices with the standard "Code Developed at
> Apache" header?

Since we have two committers who are from Oracle, and the clear intent
of the Oracle code grant is to allow all the files to be released
under an Apache license, I'd propose that Andrew Rist or Peter Korn
make the header replacements for all the files listed in the grant.

That is, remove the Oracle copyright notice/license and replace it
with the standard Apache license header.

Craig

> 2. Along with (1), should we create a NOTICE concerning the origin
> of the code?  (Suggested wording would help).
>
> 3. Is there anything else we should be doing that is in line with
> any particulars of the SGA for this code?
>
> We clearly can't handle this as third party code, because the
> license is not compatible.
>
> - Dennis
>
> The current notice:
> /
> *
> * DO NOT ALTER OR REMOVE COPYRIGHT NOTICES OR THIS FILE HEADER.
> *
> * Copyright 2000, 2010 Oracle and/or its affiliates.
> *
> * OpenOffice.org - a multi-platform office productivity suite
> *
> * This file is part of OpenOffice.org.
> *
> * OpenOffice.org is free software: you can redistribute it and/or
> modify
> * it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License
> version 3
> * only, as published by the Free Software Foundation.
> *
> * OpenOffice.org is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
> * but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
> * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
> * GNU Lesser General Public License version 3 for more details
> * (a copy is included in the LICENSE file that accompanied this code).
> *
> * You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
> License
> * version 3 along with OpenOffice.org.  If not, see
> * <http://www.openoffice.org/license.html>
> * for a copy of the LGPLv3 License.
> *

Craig L Russell