www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [legal] ICLA paragraph 7
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2011 13:00:12 GMT
Michael,

I don't think you should be removing any copyright notices.  Maybe the author can do that,
but it depends on what the files are derived from and whether they are *solely* that author's
original work.  [There is some guidance here, although it is easy to wonder if one is sitting
on an edge case: <http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html>.]

What other provisions are stated on the files in addition to the copyright notice?  Is there
a license statement of any kind?

 [It may be inappropriate for TDF to remove those copyright notices too, but that's not something
we need to address here.]

 - Dennis

PS: to legal-discuss@ - I was the one who requested that Michael's questions come here.  We
are a new podling and we are not practiced in the kind of diligence that applies on this matter.
 For example, I doubt that any of us would have thought to ask the questions that have been
raised here, plus the new questions the answers attract.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Stahl [mailto:mst@openoffice.org]
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2011 03:37
To: legal-discuss@apache.org
Subject: Re: [legal] ICLA paragraph 7

On 13.08.2011 00:28, Craig L Russell wrote:
> Normally, paragraph 7 is used to allow commits of code from
> non-committer contributors such as patch writers, before they become
> committers on projects.
>
> It's not normally used for bulk submissions of code.

[ ... ]

the author sent me a private mail with the files where he wrote that
"you can do anything with it under any license." (meaning me
personally); because i specifically asked about getting it into
ApacheOOo, that ought to be covered.

the boilerplate in the files actually looks like a copy/paste error
because it actually is the standard OpenOffice.org license header with
"Copyright 2000, 2011 Oracle", which needs replacing anyway because the
author never assigned his copyright to Oracle; have to talk to him
about that.
(the files were likely created from templates that for some reason have
not been updated with the LibreOffice license boilerplate.)

[ ... ]