www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: IP Clearance
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 19:53:46 GMT
Thanks Roy. As usual your clear answers are extremely helpful in providing guidance and making
sure the PMC gets it right.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 29, 2011, at 9:39 AM, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2011, at 5:17 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> OK.  This is obviously a statement on policy, not legality, which is fine.  However,
I'd like to understand the rationale for the policy a bit better rather than just accepting
a blanket statement.  Are their some consequences I'm not thinking about or aware of in using
code we are legally entitled to?  Is it just a matter of preserving goodwill?

> Goodwill, respect for the artist, an unwillingness to waste time in pointless
> exercises of he-said-so-I-did, and a general desire to do no harm and follow
> the golden rule.
>
>> Again, I'm simply trying to reconcile this policy with the fact that we won't give
software grants to anyone because we tell them the Apache license is all they need.  I've
actually had this question for quite a while as I've looked at some of the things that are
listed as being donated at http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html and in several
cases I don't understand what extra value the grant provides over the software license.