www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Brian Fox <bri...@infinity.nu>
Subject Re: IP Clearance
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 17:36:52 GMT
On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 5:41 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.xml
says that a software grant is required for an external codebase that is brought into the ASF.
With code that is licensed under an Apache license why is this required? Obviously, others
using Apache licensed software don't require a software grant from us to incorporate the code,
nor would we be likely to give one.

>> I'm curious about this in particular since the question of what to do about Aether
has come up on the Maven dev list and it was categorically stated that the last Apache licensed
version could not be brought into the ASF without a software grant, even though Aether was
born from code that was part of Maven itself.

> Can you verify that we have an ICLA on file for every committer that
> made a change to Aether?

I'm staying clear of this particular debate but you've peeked my
interest on the ICLA with that question.

Does an ICLA unilaterally cover every code an signee happens to
write? I would think if those committers chose to commit it back then
it would be covered, but if someone else does it, how does the ICLA
come in to play?