www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IP Clearance
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 20:02:18 GMT
To state the obvious, there is a big difference between using
something as a dependency and importing the source of 'something' into
the ASF svn repository.

In dependency land, Category A is preferable, but Category B is
acceptable. So, as a *dependency*, AL versus EPL is not earthshaking.

The first line of our standard notice is:

      Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
      or more contributor license agreements.

The decision by some party to offer the work under the AL is
completely different from the decision to license it \to the ASF/. In
this case, there is no evidence whatsoever that the authors of AEther
ever intended to 'license it to the ASF ...'. All they did was, for a
period of time, allow use by the world under the terms of the AL.

If a group of people finds Sonatype's management of this code
intolerable, and can't work out their differences with Sonatype, that
group can fork to github, or apache-extras, or pluto, and make
releases. And Apache products can use these releases as binary
dependencies under either AL or EPL, pretty nearly equivalently, as
explained in the usual place.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Most likely no one has asked simply because everyone knows the answer.  Sonatype is
in the process of donating the code to the Eclipse foundation. Jason has stated that he won't
change the license back to include the Apache license and he previously stated that he wouldn't
contribute it to the ASF as he doesn't like working here. However, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt
to have John ask Wayne.