www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IP Clearance
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 16:19:29 GMT
Since Ralph is quoting me quoting the policy, I thought that I should
insert a word.

My understanding is simple: if we find a little bit of source with a
category A license in it lying around, we're willing to take the risk
that the  license comment is a mistake or worse. If we find a lot of
source, we're not.

In the particular case at hand, we have a combination of work original
to Apache, derived work of work from Apache, and new work. The
existence of a significant quantity of the third category here, if
nothing else, is what led me to cite the policy that we would need a
grant to fork it back into the ASF, even if every single file had an
AL notice in it.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 5:41 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.xml
says that a software grant is required for an external codebase that is brought into the ASF.
With code that is licensed under an Apache license why is this required? Obviously, others
using Apache licensed software don't require a software grant from us to incorporate the code,
nor would we be likely to give one.

>> I'm curious about this in particular since the question of what to do about Aether
has come up on the Maven dev list and it was categorically stated that the last Apache licensed
version could not be brought into the ASF without a software grant, even though Aether was
born from code that was part of Maven itself.