www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: IP Clearance
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:23:08 GMT
On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 5:41 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.xml
says that a software grant is required for an external codebase that is brought into the ASF.
With code that is licensed under an Apache license why is this required? Obviously, others
using Apache licensed software don't require a software grant from us to incorporate the code,
nor would we be likely to give one.

> I'm curious about this in particular since the question of what to do about Aether has
come up on the Maven dev list and it was categorically stated that the last Apache licensed
version could not be brought into the ASF without a software grant, even though Aether was
born from code that was part of Maven itself.

Can you verify that we have an ICLA on file for every committer that
made a change to Aether?

> Ralph

- Sam Ruby