www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: IP Clearance
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 18:35:13 GMT
On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> If I chose to take a work such as Aether and commit it I would be the one how has verified
the provenance of the code.

Please read section 7 of the ICLA:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

> Sure it does. But OOo wasn't an existing project under an Apache License. If it had already
been under the Apache license what "IP clearance" is there to do?

Again, lets discuss the ICLA.  From the ICLA that you signed:

(a) "complete details of its source" and (b) "Submitted on behalf of a
third-party: [named here]"

How do you propose satisfying (a) and who would you name in (b)?

Note that I have never said that an SGA is required.  I have
consistently stated that if one is not provided, you have substantial
"homework" to do.  If you are willing to verify the provenance,
document the results, have it reviewed by the Maven PMC and Legal
Affairs, and publish the results on the Intellectual property
clearance[1] page, then you are good to go.

I'll even state that if what you provide is agreed to by the PMC and
by Legal Affairs but does not exactly match the template that has been
provided, then I will work with you and the Infrastructure team to
either get the template modified or to get an exception approved.

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html