www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: IP Clearance
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 18:22:21 GMT
On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:
> I hope I'm finding the right words. I'll try ;)
> Imo all the iCLA discussion is overrated ^^
> The iCLA is a 'safety net' for the ASF. All the 'you can take that code and do what you
like' is already granted if a person releases a piece of code under the Apache License!
> What the iCLA does is additionally telling us 'yes I'm really aware that I must have
written that code myself'.
> So it doesn't really change much if someone doesn't have an iCLA on file _as_long_ as
noone else comes and claims that this certain code is NOT written by the committer but from
another person and it's _not_ free source. Or if someone claims the same for a patent.
> At least that's my take on it.
> Can anyone confirm/clarify this view?

We have taken a lot of care in our processes -- from requiring ICLAs
for all committers, setting up PMCs which are responsible for
oversight, as well as infrastructure support that sends out commit
messages to the relevant mailing lists whenever a commit is made.

None of this exists by default for code developed elsewhere.

Understandably many of our projects are going to depend on code
developed elsewhere.  If we are duped along with others, we will take
action to correct such matters.

What is being described here is quite a different matter.  We have a
codebase that (from what I have been told) includes some code that was
originally developed here at the ASF, and intentionally made
available[1] under an incompatible license by an individual who also
asked to resign from the ASF.  Now we are asking somebody else to add
an Apache License header with the intent of taking code of unknown
provenance back in to the fold and distributing it to others.

Any PMC that takes an attitude of "Caveat emptor" is not providing
proper oversight.

> txs and LieGrue,
> strub

- Sam Ruby