www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org branding
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2011 19:54:55 GMT

Perhaps this would be best addressed to trademarks@apache.org?

http://www.apache.org/foundation/contact.html

> The gift of the trademark on "OpenOffice.org" is worth a considerable
> amount, does Apache have the resources to register another trademark if
> the decision is made to change the name.

The ASF has recorded a number of trademarks in the past, and
presumably will continue to do so.

> Does Apache have an agreement with the Apache Tribal Nation to use the
> name on globally marketed consumer products.

It might be worth asking this question separately.... and also include
the results of whatever research you may have done on what specific
Trademarks the Apache Tribal Nation may have and why you believe that
there might be confusion in the case of an Office product.

> Cheers and thanks in advance
>
> GL
> --
> Graham Lauder,
> OpenOffice.org MarCon (Marketing Contact) NZ
> http://marketing.openoffice.org/contacts.html
>
> OpenOffice.org Migration and training Consultant.

- Sam Ruby