www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: european's Apache foundation?
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 08:50:52 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Paul Libbrecht <paul@hoplahup.net> wrote:
> ...My idea was to make the ASF a partner of an EU project. It would have meant being
able to pay
> dedicated community members for the project's work. Surely that work can be done in another
> institution's name. And maybe it would have meant some administrativia....

FYI the initial codebase of the Stanbol project (
http://incubator.apache.org/stanbol/ ) was donated by the European
Community funded IKS project ( http://iks-project.eu ), and this
required the agreement of the EC representatives that manage IKS. I'm
involved in IKS via my employer and took part in those discussions.

The only relationship between the ASF and IKS in this case is that IKS
had to sign a code grant when donating that code.

People might be paid by IKS to work on Stanbol, as happens for many
people working on Apache projects as part of their paid work, but the
ASF is not involved in that - from our side, those people are just
volunteer committers.

So it is possible in some cases for EC-funded work to happen at
Apache, but as far as the ASF is concerned this makes no difference to
the way our projects are run - there's no money exchanged via the ASF
for work done on foundation projects.

-Bertrand