www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mike Shal <mar...@gmail.com>
Subject using the CLA for other projects
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2011 00:24:02 GMT
Hello,

I'm looking to create a Contributor License Agreement for my project.
>From what I can tell by poking around online it looks like many other
projects either copy the Apache CLA directly and change the names, or
make a new CLA that shares much of the same structure and wording
(perhaps based on an older version?) In the past, others have been
given explicit permission to modify and re-use the Apache CLA:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200911.mbox/%3C3d4032300911170606k28872bd4yc3d85005290e8a66@mail.gmail.com%3E

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200902.mbox/%3C3d4032300902240759r1d433c9bv9434e118cca41c68@mail.gmail.com%3E

Is this a general policy to allow others to re-use the CLA, or is it
done on a case-by-case basis? If it's a general policy, perhaps it
would help to have a CLA template available under
http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas - I can try to do that if it
would help. If it's done on a case-by-case basis, can I have
permission to use the Apacha CLA for my project? I note the caveats of
modifying the contact info and making sure it doesn't appear as if ASF
endorses/supports my project.

Thanks,
-Mike