www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: IP Clearance
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 00:17:50 GMT
OK.  This is obviously a statement on policy, not legality, which is fine.  However, I'd like
to understand the rationale for the policy a bit better rather than just accepting a blanket
statement.  Are their some consequences I'm not thinking about or aware of in using code we
are legally entitled to?  Is it just a matter of preserving goodwill?

Again, I'm simply trying to reconcile this policy with the fact that we won't give software
grants to anyone because we tell them the Apache license is all they need.  I've actually
had this question for quite a while as I've looked at some of the things that are listed as
being donated at http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html and in several cases
I don't understand what extra value the grant provides over the software license.